Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake




Every year, after the massive amounts of food at Thanksgiving dinner, we head over to my sister-in-law's house for dessert.  It has become a tradition for all of the extended family, and everyone enjoys the time together.  I try to make a new dish each year to share.  Last year it was this Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake that took two days to make, but was insanely good and worth every second of effort.  This year I needed something easy and quick to make, but with the same decadence as last year's contribution. 

After a short visit to my Pinterest page, I found a chocolate cake that I had pinned a while back.  It looked rich and moist, but best of all the recipe was easy.  Perfect to bake the morning of Thanksgiving. Now, I'm not a huge fan of mixes, but when a cake looks this good I am willing to make compromises.  I am so glad that I did.  The recipe called for two cups of sour cream which contributed to the tenderness of the final result, and I substituted coffee for the water.  The pudding added a richness that I have never achieved before with a chocolate cake recipe.  The final result was a cake that was uber moist and full of rich, chocolate flavor.  I loved that it didn't require a thick layer of frosting and it was even better the next day once all of the flavors had melded together.  I opted to include  the fudge sauce and more chocolate chips; however, they are not necessary at all.  ENJOY!


Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake
Recipe Source: modified slightly from Let's Dish 

Ingredients
1 (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups sour cream
3 eggs
⅓ cup vegetable oil
½ cup strong coffee (or water if you prefer)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted or bundt pan very well. Mix all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in stand mixer or with a handheld mixer until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter (it will be thick) into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  If desired, top with fudge sauce and more chocolate chips (I did and it was wonderful!)

Fudge Sauce

Ingredients
1/4 cup light corn syrup
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup heavy cream

Directions
In a small saucepan, combine corn syrup and chocolate chips over medium-low heat. Stir occassionally until smooth, 4-5 minutes. Whisk in heavy cream until smooth and well blended. Serve warm, or cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container. Store any unused sauce in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Pin It!

1 comment: